Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A real vintage bottle collection


For years I've heard stories about 
my great aunt's bottle collection . . . 
about her digging up bottles at the local dump
and soaking them in tubs of bleach water.

I was grateful to have the opportunity to see her
collection this summer while helping with the farm sale.


We opened the door to this little farm shed,
which was more like a little girl's play house or cottage,
to find these beautiful walls of bottles.



This is how my great aunt stored 
her collection . . . 
each bottle carefully cleaned and 
placed on shelves built for their storage . . 
on all four walls . . .




I have never seen so many bottles in one place.

Shelf after shelf of loveliness.

 This milk glass bottle collection was above the door.
You had to step inside and turn around to see them.


19 comments:

  1. That is just fascinating! A boy on my street growing up collected bottles. I always thought they were beautiful. What a treasure room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing display! I can only imagine how your jaw must have dropped when you walked into that room. Beautiful!

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nos that's what I call a collection! Impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally amazing! Did you even attempt to count them, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! That is an incredible collection! I'm so happy I came by.

    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AMAZING Julie. I think I would have loved your aunt after seeing all the things she has collected over the years in the posts before this. The way she has displayed her bottles in such a delightful little shed really shows what kind of a person she must have been. I loved seeing this today.
    sending hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful collection! Thanks for sharing Laura Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful collection! I have a few bottles. What fun to walk into a shed filled with all that glass!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your aunt's collection is amazing! They are beautifully displayed in her special shed! Thanks for shareing this treasure trove!

    I am delighted that you linked to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate you and hope to see you again this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow......truly amazing, Julie! It's certainly a room full of love and inspiration! Sounds like your aunt was a very special lady. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful collection. My daughter used to collect perfume bottles with such lovely colours and designs. You've inspired me to get them all out again and put them on display.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very lovely! What a great treasure of your aunt. I'm glad you got to experience it. I cannot believe she found all of those beautiful items!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Amazing collection and a fitting location, wonderful!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are now words that can fittingly describe your Grandmother's collection. Collecting that huge array of bottles is quite a task, and she truly dedicated an immense amount of time and effort in digging and cleaning all those bottles. The last picture is just awesome. Those colored jars are just epic.

    Rob Feckler

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...