Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Master Bathroom Makeover


A few weeks ago I shared our sideboard turned sink vanity
that we put in our master bathroom. 
Today I'm sharing the whole room.


Here are the BEFORE pics . . . . [WARNING: It is 80's pink/mauve]




Sorry . . . I forgot how bad it looked.


But, here's the new bathroom AFTER . . . and we love it now!




Same tub with a new surround ~ removed the step, added raised panel
moulding to sides and travertine tile to the top


Kohler vintage style toilet


Vintage crystal chandelier above the tub




Replaced the fiberglas shower with travertine tile, added a customized
Waverly fabric shower curtain with velvet ties and gold tassels.
Purchased the fabric shower curtain and added the stripe fabric to the
bottom to make it longer.




A family antique stool reupholstered with Waverly rose fabric


Vintage brass and crystal wall sconces




We removed the carpet, all the oak, and the ugly bar lights.

After doing some research on vintage paint colors, 
we picked a Benjamin Moore sage green for the walls.

Floor: We used larger travertine tiles on the floor and placed them on the diagonal 
to make the room look larger (and it looks better), added radiant floor heat and 
put in new, taller wood baseboards.

Vanity: Removed the old oak cabinet and installed an antique sideboard that we
turned into a double sink vanity. It took a while to find one long enough
for two sinks, but we finally found this one on craigslist. It has 3 doors
on the front which works well for the sinks and has lots of storage. 
We switched out the large unframed wall mirror over the sinks for
two oval mirrors, and added new Kohler sinks.

Tub: Removed the step, added white raised panel moulding to the sides and
travertine tiles on top. We kept our old jacuzzi tub (even through it is gray) 
because there really was no need to replace it (I just don't use it enough). 
We added a timer button to the inside of the tub so it's not on the wall
next to the sink (what a great idea :).

Lighting: We put in a vintage mini brass and crystal chandelier over the tub 
(an ebay purchase that we had rewired with old style cloth cording ~ just love
the way it looks) and crystal wall sconces over the sinks.

Shower: Replaced the fiberglas shower with travertine tiles, added a corner bench
and a wall shelf. We opted not to put in the big clear glass doors for now, 
plus the dealer told us the doors leak and are not designed to be water tight. 
They look pretty, but may not be too functional. 
I found the extra long clear shower curtain on ebay. 
I purchased the Waverly regular length fabric shower curtain and 
added the stripe fabric to the bottom to make it the right length and a gold tassle tie-back. 
I also added red velvet ribbon to attach the curtain to old-style chrome shower rings.

Even though we have brass chandeliers and sconces, we stayed with chrome
for the faucets and other accessories. We didn't want to put in anything trendy,
and chrome has been around forever, so hopefully, it will still look good ten years from now.  
We were lucky to find the Baldwin chrome tissue and towel bars on Overstock.com 
(I'm still undecided if I want to hang the towel bar).

The antique stool was inherited from my husband's family. 
I recovered it with a Waverly rose fabric I was able to purchase on ebay.

No more bathroom rugs; just a beautiful wool 8' runner I found at T.J. Maxx. 
It really makes the room. The colors and design are perfect for the space. 
(So now I really only have to heat the floor when it's really cold :).

We hired a tile installer, and used a plumber and electrician.

We still plan to add white crown ceiling moulding to finish it off.

Thanks for looking at our master bathroom. We love it.
I'd love to see your room makeovers.
Thank you for all of your lovely comments. I read them all.

~ Julie



See more inspiring projects at:

24 comments:

  1. Just lovely. I have the same curtains. and I love the sinks in the old buffet.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job! Love the chandelier, especially! You must love to go in there.

    Cindy
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful remodel! The sideboard works wonderfully as a vanity! The new surround, the chandelier, the mirrors...everything is so lovely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so beautiful and i love the new sinks vanity. and I love your bath and the curtains.... I just love it all
    You've done a really good job.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julie, Such a lot of work, but what a transformation. You must be feeling very pleased with yourselves. As one sees the bathroom so frequently, it is worth the effort to have it looking exactly as one would wish. I do so agree that cornices make a big difference to a room - something often overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Julie ~ I would NOT be leaving this bathroom for ANYTHING! Just have someone bring me some food from time to time and I would be totally content to spend my time here! Absolutely STUNNING makeover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even sure where to begin. I really do love the entire makeover. The room is the perfect backdrop for the fab side board/vanity. The chandelier is a great touch as well.

    It's terrific, from the new tub surround to the linens and all points in between.

    Now, I want to redo my bathroom...
    Too bad I'm still focused on my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! No more mauve. What a lovely transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, I love every single detail you've chosen. You must smile every time you walk into your bathroom!

    I totally agree about chrome faucets--timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful! love all of it and the tub and shower look so nice! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie! what an amazing transformation!
    I love the vintage vanity! You really made the bathroom look fabulous!
    The post you did on VT is so well done! We live in upstate, NY and look to Vermont and surrounding states for quick little getaways. Our dear little dog Muffin {16 yrs old} died this week... we are so sad ~ A weekend trip to VT seems like a good idea in the near future ... Thank you for posting about it. I'm going to google this inn and keep it in my favorites.
    Enjoy the weekend! ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful bathroom, Julie! It looks like something out of a magazine...or 5-star hotel! That dresser sink is totttttally swoon-worthy! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in love and awe over that vanity. Swoon! New follower, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. L-o-v-e the vanity. Your entire bathroom is very pretty. I'll be redecorating my bathroom soon, but sadly it will not involved major renovation projects liks yours. Amazing how in just a few years, a bathroom can look so out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bathroom makeover. The vanity beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful transformation! Love the buffet turned sink.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW...now this is one beautiful makeover...hard to believe that's it's the same room. Love that pretty vanity. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    Need some Christmas cash? Hop over and enter my gift card GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bathroom renovation is absolutely beautiful. I am in the middle of building a new kids' bathroom, and we are also planning to make our own vanity. Your vanity looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, I am in love with your new bathroom! We built our home only 6 years ago, but I am already gathering ideas for redos. With so many great blogs out there like yours, I can't help but find new ideas every day that I think I might like to try out! Be proud of this great renovation, it looks very professional and magazine-worthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a BEAUTIFUL transformation! Such a treat.
    Bless you,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Breathtaking!! Love the wall color and LOVE LOVE LOVE that sideboard vanity. I've been wanting to replace the mosaic tile around our master bath jetted tub with bead board, your panels look great. Thanks for the inspiration. Warm Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw, this ωas a rеаllу good pοѕt.

    Finԁіng the tіme and actual effort tо
    create a verу goοԁ article… but what can Ι say… I put things off а ωhole lοt and never seem to get anything donе.


    Here is my webρage: Professional Ice cream maker

    ReplyDelete
  23. My brother suggestеd I might liκe this wеb sitе.
    Ηe wаs entiгеly right. Thіs ρоѕt truly made my day.
    You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    My web-site :: kenwood bread maker recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...