Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How to Make Hand-Blown Easter Eggs

I love hand-blown eggs for Easter.
You can enjoy them year after year, and 
they make great gifts.

Here's what you'll need to make your own hand-blown eggs:

eggs
a bowl for the yolks
a corsage pin
a nasal aspirator [preferably new :)]
 

 This year I got some beautiful blue eggs from a friend,
thank you, Bekah.

Use the corsage pin to poke a pin hole in each end of the egg.
 
 Make the hole a little larger on the bigger end of the egg.

 Swirl the corsage pin inside the egg to break the
 yolk and mix with the egg white.

 Using the nasal aspirator on the end with the small hole,
blow the yolk and egg white through the bigger hole.
{Use slow, steady pressure; the egg can break with too much air pressure.}

 After all of the insides are removed,
rinse out the inside of the egg with water. 
You can insert some water with the aspirator, shake and
then blow out the water. Allow the egg to air dry before decorating.
I usually wait at least a day before decorating.

Decorate as desired . . . paper mache, glue on flowers, buttons, etc. 
or color as you would a hard-boiled egg.
{You will need to remove any colored water from the inside and allow to dry.}

Here are some pretty eggs to inspire you.

 
















I just love this romantic Easter egg created by the talented
Rosemary at Ozma of Odds
She used a paper mache egg with petals and pins,
but you can use glue to apply petals, pearls 
and other pretties to hand-blown eggs.


And . . . how about these beautiful eggs adorned
with buttons, lace and pretty jewels?
Made by Becky at Junk to Joy


and

love this idea of displaying eggs in silver candle holders
shared by Tammy at Beatrice Banks.

I gave it a try with some blue eggs . . . 

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! The blue eggs are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thank you for the lovely feature!!
    ~ and the tutorial on egg blowing ~
    but,
    most of all for the fabulous blue egg inspiration table! Adore the vintage candelabra!!

    xo, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I always wanted to know how to do this..so thank you much ma'am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great and very helpful!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie!
    Thank you so much for this tutorial. I was looking for something fun to do with my girls for Easter holiday. They are past the egg dying age (although I am not-lol!) My oldest is off to college next year and my youngest - not that far behind, yet I picked up a kit today at the store to make glitter eggs. Hmmm...is someone having a hard time letting the chikadees grow up? Maybe
    Hope you have a greta week.
    Hugs,
    Sabre'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table looks so pretty with your eggs. We actually have a chicken that lays blue green eggs and we love them. They are so pretty.

    Hope you are doing great and staying a good kind of busy with your shop.

    I've decided that you are my Etsy angel.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie,
    Believe it or not I was wondering how to do this technique...Yay! Now I know. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try it out.

    Hugs and Smiles,
    ♥Ana~A Petite Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOW I see this about the aspirator? I spent last week blowing my sinuses out the old fashioned way. I made a mess, too, and have little holes on some of them that I forgot to spackle.

    I love this entire post, and if I have a few minutes before the weekend, I want to try to add a bit more creativity to my boring old painted ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing this. I love the decorated eggs you pictured. Your blue eggs look so pretty in the candlestick holders. What a great idea.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't made hand-blown eggs in years, but your post brings back lots of fun memories! LOVE the eggs on the silver candlesticks, too! Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blue eggs in the candelabra is adorable. I love that scene. Thanks for the tutorial - I've only done hard boiled so I may try it.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay. Am I the only one who asks, are the eggs died or naturally blue? Anyway, very very nice instructions and ideas. (coming from Brambleberry's link). Thanks, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS love the wiggly eared bunny at the top! And, great blog name. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julie,
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, been very busy. About my pillows, I paint by hand directly on the fabric using fabric paint and small brushes, it is not a quick or easy process, but I like it better than printing directly on the fabric or using the citra-solve method. The fabric paint you can wash it and nothing will happen to it, the other two options I really don't know. If you need anything else, please let me know, I will be glad to help.
    Beautiful table setting!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...